Friday 4 May 2018

Orange is not my colour...

So I mentioned that V has become a bit of a story teller since she turned 5. This was one of her epic asshole stories that almost got me arrested. 

Story Number 2... Mommy is a thief.

One day I took V with me to go grocery shopping. I don't know why I do this to myself. I know all too well that grocery shopping with V is comparable to a lobotomy. Anyway, back to said grocery day. V for all of her little fibbing ways is actually a weird little human (I love her). Whenever we go out she insists on taking one small toy with her, she will not leave the house without the toy. But you can get stuffed if you ask her to bring said toy out of the car and back into the house - noooo...the backseat of the car looks like a mini toys'R'us on a good day.

Off we venture off into the store and I looked down to see she was holding her Chase figurine from Paw Patrol and it's not like this was a small toy. It was easily the size of both of my palms. I told her to give it to me and I put it in my bag. She asked me why I did that and I told her I didn't want the staff getting confused and thinking we've stolen Chase. She nodded her head but didn't say anything else...

We got all of our groceries - she was even pretty well-behaved wanting to help me out and so I rewarded her with a few packets of stickers for her collection. We got to the cashier, and I paid (shit is ridiculously expensive and I don't understand how people are expected to survive. I mean R16.95 for a loaf of bread???) 

Anyway...we paid. The packets were packed and as we got close to the exit V starts chanting loudly "mommy stole Chase, mommy stole Chase". The security guard looked at her - then me. And V said "Mommy stole Chase, it's in her bag". Fucker.

They asked to look in my bag - I was furious, I told them they were mad. Why would I steal Chase. And then logically I realised I was looking guilty at this point because there WAS a Chase toy in my bag. I spent about ten minutes convincing them that I had not stolen it. They eventually let us leave. After they checked the CCTV footage. 

I never said a word to V. I just walked to the car in silence while she asked quietly if I was angry with her. I told her that I was. Very angry. Because it wasn't funny to fib like that. 

And she looked at me and was a little teary eyed and said "I'm sorry Mommy, I won't do that again. Do you forgive me?" And I did. Because I always do. She's my child. We were in the car and she was staring at me. I asked her what was up. She laughed a bit and said "your face was so scared Mommy"

Asshole. 







Side note: So even though what she said wasn't cool - she is still only a child. My point is we need to be careful what we tell our kids, and how we tell them - if we want to teach them a lesson about life, right and wrong there is a right and wrong way to do this. I think maybe I have been doing it wrong, so I was the asshole here. Not her.


No comments:

Post a Comment